October is the perfect time for fall landscaping, which includes planting trees and shrubs and other important tasks to get your outdoor spaces ready for winter.
This blog will share tips from landscaping experts Legit Landscapes to help make your outdoor spaces look great through the fall and winter.
Fall Landscaping Tasks That Should Be Done Before Planting Trees And Shrubs
Before you plant trees and shrubs, there are several tasks you need to complete first. Here’s a list and why they should be done:
- Clear out leaves and other debris that’s been accumulating over the summer.
- Cut the grass before it goes dormant. It will be more difficult when it’s wet and cold outside.
- Trim bushes and trees, so they don’t look like they’re growing out of control. This will help keep them healthy and looking good over the winter months.
- Rake up any leaves that have fallen in your yard, as well as any sticks or branches that may have blown there during storms this fall.
- Get rid of any weeds or unwanted plants before they have a chance to grow in the spring, when they will be harder to remove.
Why Planting Trees And Shrubs Should Be A Part Of Fall Landscaping
Fall is the best time to plant trees and shrubs because:
- There are fewer insects and pests, so your trees and shrubs will suffer less damage.
- Fall has the most daylight hours, so they grow more quickly.
- The soil is typically moist, the ground is not frozen, and it is easier for plants to establish themselves
- The weather is still relatively mild. This means there will be no frost, which can damage trees and shrubs.
- It’s easier to dig holes and plant trees and shrubs with no problem.
- Plants are cheaper in fall than they are during other seasons of the year
- They have a better chance of survival.
- The soil can hold water better than in the summer.
Types of Trees And Shrubs To Plant In Fall
There are many different types of trees and shrubs that you can plant in the fall, but some are better than others. Here are some of the best options:
- Deciduous trees are one of the most popular choices for planting in the fall because they provide color all winter long.
- Flowering shrubs are also a good choice for planting because they will start to bloom in late winter or early spring.
- Evergreen trees and shrubs, which keep their leaves all year round, are another excellent option.
The Best Trees To Plant During Fall Landscaping
Here are some of the best trees to plant in the fall:
This tree is hardy, provides excellent shade, and has a beautiful red color in the fall.
This tree grows quickly and has brilliant colors during autumn. It also produces some of the most beautiful leaves you’ll see during autumn.
Dogwood is one of the most popular trees for fall planting because it blooms beautifully in early spring. It has beautiful white flowers and glossy green leaves that turn deep reds, oranges, and yellows in the fall. It also has a weeping shape, which makes it perfect for smaller gardens.
Alders are known for their tolerance of wet soils. They grow fast and can produce a lot of shade.
Pines need little maintenance, grow fast, and produce a lot of shade.
Oaks have thick leaves that provide plenty of shade during hot summer days and tolerate drought conditions well, and their acorns provide food for squirrels during winter.
Magnolia is one of the most popular trees to plant because it can grow up to 10 feet tall and has large leaves that give off a sweet smell when wet.
Japanese Maple Tree
This is perfect for people who want to enjoy its stunning colors all year round because it changes colors each season.
This is another great choice because its bark turns from browns and grays into bright oranges, yellows, and reds during the fall months.
The Best Shrubs To Plant In Fall
Many different types of shrubs can be planted in the fall. Some shrubs are better for colder climates, and some for warmer temperatures. Here is a list of some of the best shrubs to plant in the fall:
Autumn Blaze Shrub
This shrub is great for fall because it turns a beautiful red color in the late fall and early winter.
Butterfly bushes are great because they attract butterflies, making your garden even more beautiful than before! They come in various colors, so you can find one that will match your style perfectly.
Other shrubs that are good to plant in the fall include:
If you need assistance with your fall landscaping, we are here to help. Legit Landscapes helps homeowners in North Texas have beautiful outdoor spaces year-round. Contact us if you have questions about planting trees and shrubs for the fall.